Benadryl is considered to be safe during pregnancy. Doctors and nurses recommend this OTC medication to help relieve allergy symptoms, even while you’re pregnant. Recent studies have found Benadryl to be safe. However, always remember that no medicine — prescription or OTC — is ever 100 percent safe during pregnancy.
How much Benadryl is safe during third trimester?
Your obstetrician may suggest Benadryl if you are pregnant and suffering from allergies, hayfever, nausea, vomiting, or lack of sleep. When you’re pregnant you can take the same dose of Benadryl as before pregnancy. For standard Benadryl, that means no more than 1 to 2 tablets every 4 to 6 hours for an adult.
Does Benadryl cross the placenta?
The Food and Drug Administration has given Benadryl category B status, which means that the drug does cross the placental barrier, but there are no known side effects to the fetus when this happens.
Can Benadryl cause stillbirth?
A single human report and animal data have suggested that the combination of two medications: temazepam (a benzodiazepine) and diphenhydramine might increase the chance for stillbirth or infant death shortly after birth.
Why is Benadryl safe during pregnancy?
The U.S. FDA classifies Benadryl as a Category B medication during pregnancy. Category B medications are ones that are believed to pose no risk to humans during pregnancy, including the fetus. It is important to realize that no medication is ever 100 percent safe. Benadryl isn’t a Category A medicine.
Will Benadryl slow down labor?
Medicine to help you sleep: If you are in early labor and are very tired, sometimes it can be a good idea to take some medicine to help you sleep so you will have energy to manage active labor when it comes. A medication such as Benadryl®, Vistaril® or Ambien® may be recommended.
Can I take anything to help me sleep while pregnant?
If you are only having trouble sleeping while pregnant, your doctor might recommend Benadryl. Unisom is likely to be recommended for consistent nausea and vomiting during pregnancy.
Can you take Benadryl to sleep while pregnant?
But, said Dr. Riley, “I tell my patients not to use them.” While diphenhydramine (Benadryl), the most commonly recommended over-the-counter sleep medicine by doctors, can help and is safe to take occasionally while pregnant, it loses its effectiveness if you take it more than once or twice a week, Dr. Riley said.
What pregnancy category is Benadryl?
OTC Decongestants, Expectorants, and Nonselective Antihistamines in Pregnancy
|Drug name||FDA pregnancy risk classification||Drug class|
|Dextromethorphan hydrobromide (Benylin DM)||C||Non-narcotic antitussive|
|Clemastine fumarate (Tavist)||B||Antihistamine|
What does Benadryl do for babies?
Doctors and pediatricians do not usually recommend Benadryl products for babies or infants. However, in some circumstances, they will recommend supervised use of Benadryl for infants younger than 2 years old. Benadryl is a medicine used to relieve allergy symptoms including sneezing, itchiness, and skin rashes.
What meds are OK to take while pregnant?
Which Medications Are Safe During Pregnancy?
- Safe to take: Regular and extra-strength Tylenol (acetaminophen)
- Safe to take: Metamucil, Colace, Citracel, Milk of Magnesia, Dulcolax.
- Safe to take: Tums, Maalox, Mylanta, Pepcid.
- Safe to take: Penicillin.
- Safe to take: Monistat, Gynelotrimin.
What medications can you not take while pregnant?
What medicines should you avoid during pregnancy?
- Bismuth subsalicylate (such as Pepto-Bismol).
- Phenylephrine or pseudoephedrine, which are decongestants. …
- Cough and cold medicines that contain guaifenesin. …
- Pain medicines like aspirin and ibuprofen (such as Advil and Motrin) and naproxen (such as Aleve).
What can a pregnant woman take for flu?
- menthol rub on your chest, temples, and under the nose.
- nasal strips, which are sticky pads that open congested airways.
- cough drops or lozenges.
- acetaminophen (Tylenol) for aches, pains, and fevers.
- cough suppressant at night.
- expectorant during the day.
What antihistamine can I take while pregnant?
Many allergy drugs may be fine to keep taking during pregnancy, but have the discussion so you can have peace of mind. Oral antihistamines, like cetirizine (Zyrtec), chlorpheniramine (Chlor-Trimeton), diphenhydramine (Benadryl), fexofenadine (Allegra), and loratadine (Claritin) seem to be safe.
What can I do for allergies while pregnant?
- Try to avoid your allergy triggers.
- Use saline nose spray to ease your congestion.
- Keep animals out of your bedroom.
- Vacuum often. …
- Use the air conditioner to keep humidity low and irritants out of the house. …
- Shower and wash your hair after being outdoors if pollen sets off your allergies.
Can you take Tylenol PM in third trimester?
Sleep aids: Unisom, Tylenol PM, Sominex and Nytol are generally considered safe during pregnancy and are allowed by many practitioners for occasional use (though always check with your doctor first before taking them).